Saturday, May 16, 2009

Do You Sew?


I went to a garage sale for the first time in FOREVER yesterday. There was a large sale benefiting a local organization going on so I stopped by. I must admit I have never had that "swooning" feeling at seeing anything before. Well that all changed! Covering two tables and the floor was boxes of lace and trim. It was vintage, still on spool, and.......in gorgeous pastel colors. Some was still in the package! My heart pounded, I felt faint, and I was frozen. It looked like a shark feeding frenzy with all the ladies grabbing and shoving. I finally came to my wits and started grabbing whole boxes and taking them to the holding table. Some ladies REALLY got upset at me for this! I stopped when I felt I had gotten most of the good stuff. It took all the people working there to stop and add up my stuff. People were in line grumbling and griping about me. I was very unwillingly the center of attention. As I (and several people working there) carried my boxes out a lady asked me "Do you sew?" I loudly told her the truth. "Nope. Not even a button." I could clearly read the faces around me. " Whats up with that?" Whats up with that is I got VERY lucky and hit the jackpot! I have been working nonstop all day packaging all the pretties to put in my shop. Its been a bit overwhelming. Most of the trim is from New York Import companies. So who knows where its from. A lot of it had notes attached that said things like "wedding Veil", "slip bottom", and " to be dyed blush pink". There was also bags of pretty flower appliques. My hubby laughed at me when he saw me dividing it all into two piles.' My keep for me' pile was much larger that my sale pile. I'm such a hoarder. I couldn't tell you about all this with out giving some away so stay tuned for a give away! And I will update my shop soon.







Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Terri said...

I would say you hit the lottery.....big time! Good for you! Terri

sashagirl said...

Oh my goodness!!! I would have done the same thing you did, get those boxes of pretties and head to the checkout, haha!!! Wonderful finds! You did great!
(((hugs)))
Milli

Dagmar said...

You go, what a find...I can see the happiness that you must of felt when you saw all this loot.

Have a great weekend and thanks for the inspiration.
xoxo
Dagmar

Jennifer said...

That so cute that you told that lady that you don't sew...even though she didn't think so! Isn't that one of the best feelings when you find a stash like that! Good for you!

Tina said...

wow - what a fab. find. Congrats. I´ll keep an eye on your shop :D

Boxwood Cottage said...

Wow what great finds Brandy! Congrats!!! You was so brave to stand all these peeps watching you with envy and then even to admit that you don't sew lol
I imagine myself (I don't sew either for unfortunately I can't sew) in your situation, of course I would have grabbed all the yummy laces and ribbons etc too, but I don't think I could have hat the guts to tell them the truth that I don't sew. So go you!!!
xo Carola

Lee Weber said...

Oh My!! I would have done the same thing- one sweeping motion with "I'll take it all!" ((SIGH)) just once, I'd like to have something like that happen to me- all I find it junk- like REAL junk. boo hiss. I'll be checking your shop to see what you got!!

L Melohn said...

Wow! What a score! I had a much smaller bit of luck yesterday, too... i found a 4X7 box of old sequins stuffed full for $8...

Becca said...

OMG!! You did hit the Jackpot! I'm swooning just looking at it!! Good for you :)

Jeanne said...

You hit the jackpot, that's for sure Brandy! Wowee...how come I never find goodies like all that lace? Absolutely gorgeous and so is your packaging!
xo
jeanne

Alisa Noble said...

Wow, you hit the mother load! It's beautiful!

Penelope said...

Woah- jackpot!! I would've been in a spin, so much to grab! Your method of just taking whole boxes was genius I think, cranky ladies or not!

That was good of you to evade their questions as well, I usually resort to making up some lavish fabrication about having lots of friends who I shop for!

Jessica Rodarte said...

eeek... i would have fainted. i love trims thismuch. i will have to go visit your etsy shoppe!!

Tania Pelletier said...

Oh Man, I'm so jealous! My mom and I garage sale every weekend and we've yet to find a treasure trove like that! I think it's pretty funny that you just took whole boxes!! LOL! Good for you!

Tania

The Cottage Girl said...

This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time! I even read it to my DH,'cause it sounds like something I would do too! Don't you feel one bit bad, those other ladies would have done the same thing. Plus you don't have to sew at all to use lovely trims.

The Cottage Girl

Mandi said...

I'd have done the same thing! I love vintage trims, notions etc...keep some, sell some...

I do sew but most of the vintage laces end up on craft projects not on sewing!

Love your work!

01 09 10